Saturday, February 12, 2011

The Mobile Painting Unit, yes I watch a lot of crime drama





Ok, I love my students.  I really do.  It's just that in part they are MIDDLE SCHOOLERS and they have not been brought to a place where they are eager for independence.  Sooo, I try to come up with creative ways to stave off insanity (mine), disaster (the room), injury (the students), all while keeping up the appearance of age appropriateness.  There are many things that spell the kiss of death, but none so devastating as treating students like babies.
This brings me to the MOBILE PAINTING UNIT.
This is instead of trying to teach a sequence for clean up/set up and then letting 25 students loose at once for 10 minutes and winding up with: 25 students doing it how and at whatever speed they chose, me frustrated, and a mess... because there are 25 sort-of-cleaning-related things going on at once (often in conflict with one another).
So I wheel the MPU up one aisle and down another, students stay seated until I finish my route.  Then, we hang labelled artwork and wash hands.
***this did not keep one student from painting both hands purple and running around like a maniac.
But one out of 110 isn't bad:0

No comments:

Post a Comment